Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mary Frances White



Mary Frances White was baptized on October 14, 2009.  This sweet lady has been in our prayers and thoughts for a few months.  Many of you know that she approached Elder Elton and Elder Schwab in the grocery store, read their names tags and asked them to come and teach her.  She told them she had just left an abusive relationship and decided she wanted to join the church.


Here is the experience Brigham sent me in a written letter, some of the experience I have left  out because of sacredness.  I love this woman she is walking by faith, our family will continue to pray for her and her sweet children.

August 2, 2009
On thursday night in Shaw's ( like Smith's) I decided after a lesson that I might want some apples for the weekend.  So we walked through the fruit area and while I was picking out fruit this thirty year old lady comes and kind of leans over trying to see my name tag.  So I kind of got freaked out and turned to look at her.  She says " oh the missionaries I am so excited to see you, I want to be taught about the church.  I finally broke up with my abusive husband and I'm ready to join."
Right then I was shocked and so excited.  We talked for a while and then exchange information.


First lesson
So tonight, Sunday, we have our first lesson with her.  We walked into her little apartment sit down and she starts mentioning all of the bad things that have been happening to her over the past little while, and how she feels so overwhelmed. (you can totally see the vulnerability in her eyes).  Right then we opened with a prayer, right after the prayer my companion Elder Schwab opened to Matthew 11: 28-30, he testified that if she came to Christ he would lift her burdens, Mary then started to cry, overwhelmed by the spirit. 

 As she was overcome by the spirit she began to open up , telling us how her husband had abused her physically in front of her three children.  Finally in December she broke free of her husband and that relationship, the child services were housing her.  Just a couple of months ago she took her kids to see thier father, because he never abused them, just her in front of people.  The problem was this was a court order for her to never let him see the children.. so her children were taken away from her.  Obviously she was very torn up about this.

Right then the spirit spoke to me, I swear I could hear the words in my head.  Alma 7:11-13.  
after a little background, the water works started again.  The spirit hit the room and lit it up.  As I continued to testify I told her even though she thinks she is alone.  Jesus is there for her and knows what she is going through.  Then I committed her to pray tonight for comfort, as she said yes, she began to say that she knows by us being there now, that Christ cares for her and knows her personally.

From that point on, she would tell us something or some worry she had and Elder Schwab, Bother Scheuller  and I,  seemed to receive the same promptings, our teaching wasn't our teaching.  It was just  three of the Lord's tools telling of the gospel that would bless her life. 

 Mary then went on to say that she was so worried about her kids and her not being there to care for them.  Right then it was like the holy ghost was sitting in between us telling Elder Schwab and I of the scripture saying that "God will take care as ling as we are in his service."  Elder Schwab and I both at the same time looked at each other and knew right then what scripture to turn to.  1 Peter 5:7

Testifying that God will care for his children as she moved closer to God and put her trust in him he will care for her, she again began to cry, thanking us over and over, saying she feels like not only does she need to thank us, but God.

The rest of the lesson was amazing as we began to form a game plan to get her the gift of the Holy Ghost as quick as possible.  We are now going to visit her twice a week with daily contact to help her to progress to baptism.

She is so ready and it is amazing the Lord could trust us with her.  I feel so blessed to have this experience already in my mission.  She is working towards a baptism this month it is amazing, she has a huge desire to learn.


Wow what a testimony buider, I can't believe how much I have grown, and how much my love for the gospel and the work I am doing  has grown immensely.  I am so excited for the amazing miracles here in Augusta and in New England.


Lovin' the work


Elder Elton

1 comment:

  1. How Thrilling! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this inspiring story with us! It is so beautiful to see how the Lord is working through Elder Elton to touch hearts and bring souls into the gospel. How blessed we are to have this truth, what a strength it is through our challenges. Our prayers are with Elder Elton, they will also be with Mary. We are so proud of the excellent missionary he is! Rich and Candice, you are amazing parents. What a remarkable son you have raised! We all love you tons and miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete